Dole Fresh Foods Logo

Find Your Farm

All our fruit from the farm straight to your local supermarket. The farm code tells you which farm produced the fruit you are eating. Just enter the 3- or 5-digit code to find out where your fruit came from and learn about the country and the people who grew and picked it!

Dole Banana Farmer

Soul Warming Winter Salads


By Chef Mark Allison, Dole's Director of Culinary Nutrition

It’s February and the winter months are coming to an end. We can all look forward to the start of spring, and warmer weather soon. In the current bone-chilling temperatures, comforting roasts, stews or warm hearty braises may be classic winter dishes, but salads still have a place on the table even on the coldest of days. Nutritious salads won’t leave us feeling weighed down and tired in these dark evenings, yet seasonal winter produce is hearty as can be.

This time of year I incorporate acidic flavors like lemon or orange juice and flavored vinegars. They add unique taste and brightness and tenderize denser ingredients that I might use in my winter salads. One of my favorite ideas: a simple roasted parsnip salad mixed with Greek yogurt and the juice of freshly squeezed orange. Or blanch a whole lemon with honey, and then whiz it through a blender to make a wonderful tart bitter dressing to go with roasted kohlrabi or small turnips. Try my Soul Warming Winter Salad, below, which is full of favors, color and textures that all play well together this time of year. I hope you enjoy!

Soul Warming Winter Salad:Serves 4


For the Salad:

For the Dressing:



  1. Preheat oven to 375’F.
  2. Wash the parsnips and scrub if needed (no need to peel). Slice lengthwise into pieces about 3 inches long and then cut those into quarters.
  3. Place them into a small bowl and pour over the oil, toss to evenly coat, and place onto a roasting pan. Place into the oven and roast for 15 minutes, then turn each piece over to brown evenly. Roast for a further 15 minutes and turn over again. Remove from the oven when there are tender inside and crispy golden brown on the outside, allow to cool.
  4. To make the dressing, take a small bowl and whisk all the dressing ingredients together.
  5. Place the baby kale in a large salad bowl and toss with the salad dressing. Top with the warm roasted parsnips, along with the orange segments and scatter over the diced pear, pomegranate seeds and roasted hazel nuts, serve.

Nutrition Facts: Serving Size 340g

Amount Per Serving: Calories 480,Calories from Fat 270,Total Fat 30g(46% DV),Saturated Fat 4g(20% DV),Trans Fat 0g,Polyunsaturated Fat 3.5g,Monounsaturated Fat 22g,Cholesterol 0mg(0% DV),Sodium 35mg(1% DV),Potassium 900mg(26% DV),Total Carbohydrate 53g(18% DV),Dietary Fiber 11g(44% DV),Sugars 28g,Protein 5g,Vitamin A (30% DV),Vitamin C (120% DV),Calcium (20% DV),Iron (10% DV),Vitamin E (35% DV),Vitamin K (120% DV),Thiamin (15% DV),Vitamin B6 (10% DV),Folate (35% DV),Pantothenic Acid (10% DV),Phosphorus (15% DV),Magnesium (15% DV),Copper (20% DV),Manganese (70% DV)

Published February 1, 2016

Get Some Fresh Inspiration

Explore Packaged Salads Find Meal Inspiration from Dole


About Careers Terms of Use Code of Conduct Transparency in Coverage Press Releases Sustainability

Dole Family

Dole Fruit Hawaii Dole Packaged Foods Ocean Cargo Dole Pineapple Farm Tour


DBCP Facts Memorandum of Insurance Transparency in Supply Chain Management Truckers & Customers Information Portal


Facebook Instagram Pinterest Twitter

Contact Privacy Policy © 2024 All rights reserved.