Total Prep Time: 25 minutes
Calories Per Serving: 610
Serving Size 293g
|Amount per serving
||Calories from fat: 410
||% Daily Value*
|Fat 46 g
|Saturated 8 g
|Trans 0 g
|Cholesterol 85 mg
|Sodium 1420 mg
|Carbohydrate 44 g
|Fiber 10 g
|Sugars 4 g
|Protein 12 g
*Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet. Your daily values may be higher or lower depending on your calorie needs.
Masa flour is a powdered version of the traditional corn-based dough that’s used to make, among other things, tortillas and tamales. For this quick recipe, we use seasoned masa flour (look for bags of it with Mexican and Latin American foods at your market) to make a crust for flavorful fried shrimp to top our Chopped Chipotle & Cheddar Salad. The addition of olives, corn, red onion and creamy chopped avocado really make this a complete meal-in-a-salad, so no sides are necessary.
- 12 to 16 medium uncooked shrimp, peeled and deveined
- 1 tablespoon all-purpose flour
- 1-1/2 teaspoons salt
- 1 teaspoon Mexican-style chili powder
- 1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1/2 cup peanut oil
- 1 cup masa flour
- 1 egg, beaten
- 1 pkg. (12.9 oz.) DOLE® Chopped Chipotle and Cheddar Salad Kit
- 1 avocado, peeled, pitted and chopped
- 1/3 cup sliced ripe olives
- 1/3 cup cooked corn kernels
- 1/3 cup DOLE Red Onion, chopped
- Fresh chopped cilantro, as needed
- Pat shrimp dry with paper towels. Combine flour, salt, chili powder and pepper in a zip top plastic bag. Add shrimp and toss until well coated.
- Heat oil in large heavy sauce pan. Using 4 shrimp at a time, dip each shrimp in egg and then in masa flour. Fry shrimp 2 to 3 minutes, or until golden brown and fully cooked.
- Combine salad kit ingredients, avocado, olives, corn and onion. Top with masa shrimp and chopped cilantro. Squeeze 1/2 lime juice over the top of the salad. Cut remaining lime half in wedges and serve with salad.