Tropical Breeze Banana Bread Panini with Pineapple Ginger Cream Cheese Filling
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 3 Tbsp finely chopped crystallized ginger, divided
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 2/3 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup plus 2 Tbsp butter, softened, divided
- 1 egg
- 3 large, ripe DOLE® Bananas, mashed (1-1/2 cups)
- 2 cans (8 oz each) DOLE Crushed Pineapple, drained, divided
- 1 package (8 oz) cream cheese, softened
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Combine flour, 1 tablespoon crystallized ginger, baking soda and salt in medium bowl.
- Beat sugar and 1/2 cup butter until light and fluffy in large bowl. Fold in egg, mashed bananas and 1/2 cup drained pineapple. Stir in flour mixture, mixing just until blended. Spoon batter into 8"x4" loaf pan, sprayed with nonstick cooking spray.
- Bake 55 to 60 minutes or until toothpick inserted in center comes out clean. Cool 10 minutes; remove from pan and cool completely on wire rack.
- Cut loaf with serrated knife into 12 slices, about 1/2 inch thick.
- Stir together cream cheese, remaining pineapple and 2 tablespoons crystallized ginger. Preheat Panini press or grill pan. To make each sandwich, spread one slice bread with about 2 tablespoons cream cheese mixture; top with second slice. Lightly spread about 1/2 teaspoon butter on each side of sandwich.
- Grill on Panini press 45 to 60 seconds or until lightly browned. Cook 45 to 60 seconds on each side if using grill pan.
- Note: Tropical Banana Bread can be baked the day before and sandwiches grilled for breakfast the next day.