DOLE FOOD COMPANY, INC. LAUNCHES “DOLE CORPORATE WELLNESS TOOLKIT”
WESTLAKE VILLAGE, California - February 21, 2007
The Dole Nutrition Institute today announced the launch of a Corporate Wellness Toolkit that businesses can use to promote nutritious diets and healthy lifestyles among their employees. The Dole Corporate Wellness Toolkit packages components of Dole's own successful employee wellness program that was implemented in October 2003 at the company's Westlake Village, CA corporate headquarters. Since its launch, Dole's employee wellness program has garnered official recognition, earning Dole the California Fit Business Award in the 1,000+-employee category.
"We created the Corporate Wellness Toolkit as a resource for our business partners who want to join the wellness bandwagon but don't know where to start," said Marty Ordman, Vice President of Marketing and Communications. "We offer a co-branded nutrition newsletter, healthy food service recipes, nutrition tip hold music, signage, kiosks, videos and much more."
Other components of Dole's employee wellness program include:
- Recipes from its "Model Cafeteria," including fish entrees, vegetarian/vegan selections and healthy desserts.
- 37 table tents providing health, fitness, and nutrition tips.
- Free afternoon cruditÃ©s plus a vending machine that dispenses a free healthy snack to each employee daily. Dole employees can use the their employee card key to access a variety of healthy choices including juice, raisins, baby carrots, grapes, dates, fruit bowls and other healthy items.
- Onsite Yoga, Boot Camp and Strength and Tone fitness classes
- Subsidized Personal Trainers.
- A state-of-the art fitness room with cardio machines, strength-training equipment and free weights as well as men's and women's locker rooms.
- Dole Nutrition News, a monthly electronic newsletter containing the latest nutrition research, public policy updates, recipes and diet & fitness advice. Sign up today at www.dolenutrition.com.
- Healthy signage encouraging stair use.
- Looping atrium videos, produced by the Dole Nutrition Institute, on various relevant health topics.
- A "Lunch & Learn" program offers regular seminars on health-related topics ranging from meditation to diabetes to fitness training.
- "Junk-Food Free" vending machines are stocked with healthy snack substitutions like nuts, dried fruit, protein bars and baked chips.
According to Ordman, the Dole Corporate Wellness Toolkit is another example of the company's commitment to promoting healthy lifestyles and the benefits of a nutritious diet. The company also is a founding member of the National 5 A Day for Better Health Program and is a leader in developing technology-based nutrition education programs for children.
For more information about the Dole Employee Wellness program, go to dolenutrition.com.
Dole Food Company, Inc, with 2005 revenues of $5.9 billion, is the world's largest producer and marketer of high-quality fresh fruit, fresh vegetables and fresh-cut flowers. Dole markets a growing line of packaged foods and frozen fruit and is a produce industry leader in nutrition education and research.
This release contains "forward-looking statements," within the meaning of the Private Securities Litigation Reform Act of 1995 that involve a number of risks and uncertainties. Forward looking statements, which are based on management's current expectations, are generally identifiable by the use of terms such as "may," "will," "expects," "believes," "intends" and similar expressions. The potential risks and uncertainties that could cause actual results to differ materially from those expressed or implied herein include weather-related phenomena; market responses to industry volume pressures; product and raw materials supplies and pricing; changes in interest and currency exchange rates; economic crises and security risks in developing countries; international conflict; and quotas, tariffs and other governmental actions. Further information on the factors that could affect Dole's financial results is included in its SEC filings, including its Annual Report on Form 10-K.