Festive Ideas from Chef Mark Allison
Let’s all have a healthy and fun time over the holidays! If you’re throwing a party, hosting a dinner, or simply adding to the potluck, here are a few Chef Tips for adding nutritious snacks to the spread:
Be mindful of what you’re eating over the holiday season, but most importantly have fun with family. Happy holidays and see you in 2017!
- Choose vegetable or bean-based dips such as a salsa, avocado or hummus and keep away from the heavy cream or cream cheese dips. Serve with an assortment of colorful vegetables and whole grain crackers.
- Make herb-infused popcorn instead of serving chips. When made at home, popcorn is a healthful whole grain. Season with cinnamon, cayenne pepper, rosemary or thyme.
- Roast chestnuts and serve on a platter of fresh fruits. Arrange sliced pineapple, mango, papaya, kiwi and berries for a colorful display.
- Swap out bowls of candy for bowls of berries—they’re full of festive color and packed with nutrients.
- Make water your go-to drink, but spice it up a bit!
- Serve fruit for dessert, with a twist: Marinate fruit salad in vanilla and mint for unique flavor without extra calories.
Published December 1, 2016